Social Studies Best Practices for Teaching ELLs
Unit and Lesson Planning Considerations
- Consider small group projects with students grouped with similar cultural backgrounds, then try mixed backgrounds.
Learning new words for Social Studies has these challenges for English Language Learners:
- Specialized vocabulary (Tier 3 and 4) that include concrete and abstract concepts.
- Topics often include geographic places with which students have no experience.
- Many of our students who were born in other countries can be called up to add “realia” (real items) from their countries during appropriate lessons.
- Words used in international trade and government are shared with (cognates of) languages recognized by our ELLs.
6th – 8th Grade
“Cherokee in the United States”
“First Encounters of the Ho-Chunk Nation and the French”
This primary source is provided courtesy of the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History.